Informational Webinar

Watch a panel of Scientific Council members discuss key background information
about the competition and offer guidance to prospective applicants.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • International researchers are eligible to apply.
  • At least one member of the research team must hold a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree and maintain a faculty position or equivalent at a college, university, medical school, or other research facility.
  • Applicants who are in transition between research institutions during the competition period but before the study period begins are still eligible to apply. In such cases, applicants must coordinate with the proper office of sponsored programs, and briefly explain the pending status of IRB approval within the application.


Can I submit more than one application?

Yes, you may submit more than one application per cycle.


How much funding can I request?

OAR funds pilot studies that range from 1-2 years. The maximum grant amount is $40,000 regardless of study duration.


Which type of OAR grant should I apply for?

OAR currently offers two lines of research funding: the Applied Research Competition and the Graduate Research Grants Program.

  • Applied Research Competition – This is OAR’s most competitive competition available. The ideal applicant is an autism researcher. While there are no eligibility restrictions based on experience or degree, many of the finalists have doctoral degrees and previous experience conducting autism research. Winners receive $40,000 for pilot studies that are 1-2 years in duration and have the potential to impact autism families in a meaningful way.
  • Graduate Research Grants Program – This competition is for graduate students conducting autism research in support of an advanced degree. Grant awards of $1,000 are offered to students for conducting autism research as a requirement in pursuit of a master’s degree and $2,000 for students who are doctoral candidates.


Is my proposal a good fit for this competition?

Please refer to the RFP and review the list of OAR-funded studies.


How can I best prepare for the competition?


Who is the ‘Sponsored Office’ contact person?

A university or research center typically has an office called “Office of Research Sponsored Programs,” “Sponsored Projects Office,” or “Office of Research.” This office is responsible for administering grant materials, such as awards, applications, grant agreements, and budgeting for the organization. Depending on the type of research you conduct, you may be assigned a specific contact person from that office.

If your organization does not have a sponsored office, please identify the individual who will be responsible for processing grant materials and/or funds at your organization.


To whom should I address the cover letter?

Please address the cover letter to “OAR’s Scientific Council.”


How should I format my references?

APA style.


Does it matter what version of NIH biosketch form I use?

No. You may use the version linked in the online application portal or a newer version if there is one available.


I do not have an eRA user name for the NIH biosketch form. What should I do?

Enter “N/A.”


Still have a question?

Contact OAR at


< Back to Applied Research