OAR takes great pleasure in announcing the 2019 recipients of the Lisa Higgins Hussman Scholarship and Schwallie Family Scholarship. The two scholarships attracted over 700 applicants and the 38 awards total $114,000. With these additional scholarships, OAR has surpassed the $1 million mark, awarding a total financial contribution of more than $1,068,000 to 356 students with autism since the program started in 2007.
Both the Schwallie and Hussman scholarships provide one-time $3,000 awards to students with autism pursuing post-secondary education at a variety of different institutions. The Schwallie Family Scholarships are awarded to students attending four-year and two-year colleges. The 18 Hussman Scholarships are awarded to students attending two-year colleges, vocational/technical schools, job readiness programs, life skills programs, and other transition-related programs.
To be eligible for one of the scholarships, an applicant must have a confirmed autism diagnosis (DSM-IV or later), be accepted for enrollment in the fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters, and submit three short personal essays along with an application form and recommendation letter. The selection committees are made up of members of OAR’s board of directors, representatives of the Schwallie and Hussman families, and selected parent volunteers.
2019 Scholarship Recipients
Lisa Higgins Hussman Scholarship Winners
“I would like to congratulate all the scholarship winners and wish them luck on the journey ahead of them,” says Lisa Higgins Hussman.
- Matthew Abernathy, Coastal Carolina University
- Brian Bouton, Shepherds College
- Elliott Bowman, Hobart Institute of Welding Technology
- Abigail Buhain, The College of Saint Scholastica
- Benjamin Carter, Shepherds College
- James C. Daly, Wabash College
- Paul Ferguson, Barnabas Prep
- Ernest Freeman, III, University of North Carolina – Greensboro
- Finnian Gott, Ohio State University
- Michael Gresko, Automotive Training Center
- Jamarkus Hall, College of Charleston
- John McMichael, Ohio State University
- Jordan E. Middleton, CarolinaLIFE Program at University of South Carolina
- Seth Novak, University of North Carolina
- Dominic Rodriguez, Shepherds College
- Gabriel Rothman, University of Delaware
- Adam Weber, University of Iowa REACH
Schwallie Family Scholarship Winners
“We are very impressed with our OAR Schwallie Scholarship awarded recipients,” says Cathy Schwallie Farmer. “All of these students have overcome huge obstacles and are incredibly well deserving of these scholarships.”
- Saige Barlow, Utah State University
- Tatiana Castillo, Arcadia University
- John Cummings, Seton Hall University
- Jason Dine, Columbus State University
- Abigail FitzGibbon, Mills College
- Kelle S. Grau, Florida Southwestern State / Florida Gulf Coast University
- Noah Gumushian, Marquette University
- Ashley Hafeli, Eastern Michigan University
- Jennifer Harrell, Broward College
- Kendall Haselwood, University of North Florida
- Nathan A. Katzman, University of Michigan
- Allie Lauren Lew, University of Colorado Boulder
- Joshua J. Mack, Trident Technical College
- Connor Michael McNally, Butler University
- Dylan O’Connor, Daemen College
- Chloe Rankin, University of California, Davis
- Madeline Schramm, Xavier University
- Nicolas Ward, Alexandria Tech
- Easton M. Williams, Concordia University – Wisconsin
- Andrew Wojtas, Salem State University
Congratulations to Each of the 38 Recipients!
OAR extends its gratitude to the Lisa Higgins Hussman Foundation and the Schwallie Family Foundation. These scholarships would not be possible without their continuous support.