Thank you for agreeing to write a recommendation letter to support an application to OAR’s Scholarship Program. Please read the following guidelines before you prepare your letter.
The scholarship review committee bases their evaluation on the applicant’s personal story as conveyed by the letter of recommendation and application essays: challenges that have been overcome, future aspirations, the importance of the chosen field of study, and how the scholarship will help achieve academic, career, and personal goals.
OAR will only accept signed letters of recommendation. Recommendation letters must be uploaded to SurveyMonkey Apply; you received an email with instructions about how to register for an account. Please ensure you have uploaded the correct file before submitting your recommendation.
The most effective letters of recommendation will:
- Be specific to the OAR scholarship program
- Speak to the student’s autism and how the student has handled any challenges associated with their diagnosis
- Discuss the student’s character and/or commitment to their future plans
- Share any relevant examples or stories illustrating the student’s strengths
- Be no longer than 2 pages (letters longer than 2 pages will be cut off)
If you have any questions, please contact scholarship @researchautism.org or 703-243-3466.