Earlier this year, OAR launched Hire Autism, an online meeting space for adults with autism seeking work and employers who might hire them. While being tested locally in No. Virginia now, it received national notice when Encore.org announced that Hire Autism/Organization for Autism Research (OAR) is one of 15 semifinalists for The Encore Prize: Generation to Generation Challenge, a national competition that will award $50,000 each to two winners with innovative ideas for engaging people over 50 in improving the lives of vulnerable children and youth.
This is your chance to help us shine the spotlight on the challenges adults with autism face when it comes to work. You can do that by voting and sharing this link in your personal networks and on social media. Beginning today, you can vote for Hire Autism/Organization for Autism Research once per day from now until August 31. In early September, Encore.org will announce five finalists who will compete in October for two $50,000 awards.
OAR was selected from a field of 180 applicants. OAR envisions using people over 50 as Hire Autism Advocates to assist young people with autism in finding meaningful employment. Jobseekers with autism will be able to request this personalized support as part of registering and creating a profile on OAR’s Hire Autism jobs portal. The advocates will assist in resume writing, job search, interview preparation, and post-interview feedback and guidance until their applicant gets hired.
Here is how you can help
- Vote, and vote every day until August 31. You personally represent 24 votes.
- Get someone new to vote each day!
- Spread the word! Share this information with friends, classmates, co-workers, and professional colleagues via e-mail and social media.
- Make the Public Voting page your homepage in your default browser to remind you to vote every day!
- Create an e-mail P.S. with details on OAR’s quest and how to vote.
- Like and share all related social media posts.