Everyone deserves a fulfilling college experience, including students on the autism spectrum. OAR’s Finding Your Way: A College Guide for Students on the Spectrum is intended to help students with ASD become better prepared for college life and academics. This guide addresses challenges that are both universal and unique to students on the college autism spectrum by providing information, guidance, and resources that address them. Finding Your Way offers practical advice from autism experts; powerful narratives from self-advocates; and relevant resource tools. It is intended to help readers anticipate and improve their academic and social situations by advocating for themselves.
More specifically, this guide covers topics such as:
- Transitions from high school to college
- Self-advocacy and disclosure
- Academic supports and accommodations
- Strategies to establish and maintain daily routines and structure
- Social relationships and conflict resolution
- Jobs, internships, and financial aid